CharmaineZoe

Click here to edit subtitle

My Blog

Some Demolition Work!

Posted by charmainezoe on April 11, 2010 at 1:41 PM Comments comments (0)

You need Adobe Flash Player to view this content.

When we moved in to our present house we inherited a big old wooden greenhouse at the bottom of the garden. We've only ever used it for storage and it was prone to having it's glass panels smashed by falling fruit from a large apple tree which overhangs it. We have now trimmed the tree back so it's not quite so destructive, but over the years it has become more and more decprepit and derelict.

So this year we made the decision to demolish it completely and replace it with a new structure, preferably one we can sit in on a blustery or rainy day and still enjoy the sunshine, which this end of the garden enjoys all day round.

The following video shows the operation to demolish it. Pepsi and Max are popping in and out of the frame all the time and it finishes rather abruptly as we realise that Pepsi has disappeared through a gap we had exposed in the fence (it used to have chicken wire attached to the greenhouse to stop him!), which is when we had to drop everything temporarily and chase him across the field down to the river which backs on to the garden! Didn't do poor Hubby's blood pressure a lot of good either!

Wallpaper paste creates havoc!

Posted by charmainezoe on July 30, 2009 at 5:53 PM Comments comments (4)

Well if it's not one thing, it's another! With only his PC and Flight Simulator to keep him amused, Hubby decided that this would be a good time to finish decorating the kitchen!

 

This is a project he started about 6 months ago. Every time he painted the walls he decided after a couple of weeks that he wasn't happy with the colour, so he would go out and buy some more paint! The last layer was a lemony yellow which we both agree is too bright as the tiles and cupboards are a sort of oatmeal colour. So yesterday he went and bought some ivory cream paint and a roll of lining paper to improve the finish of the old walls. He had just  climbed up the stepladder to place his first piece with a big bucket of freshly mixed wallpaper paste.

 

I suddenly heard this huge crash followed by an ominous silence, and then the air turned blue! I rushed out to find that he had knocked the bucket off a shelf and it had cascaded on to the floor, covering the electric meter and mains switches in wallpaper paste on the way down!

 

45 minutes later we had managed to clear it all up, using a dustpan to scoop up the layer on the floor, which is fortunately vinyl sheet. We went through about 2 rolls of kitchen paper and several of the dogs towels came in handy as well! Finally we were able to clean up the last vestiges of paste with a big dampened decorating sponge. God, that stuff is sticky!!

 

We had turned off the electric as soon as we saw the danger and had to take out all the fuses and clean them off before switching it back on again. Fortunately the viscose nature of the paste meant it had not penetrated into the innards of the elctrics so we were able to clean it up without too much trouble and switched everything back on OK - but it was a scary 10 minutes I can tell you!

 

Anyway we could well have done without that as it put Hubby's schedule back quite a bit, but trouper that he is, he got right back on it and has now finished the wallpapering, which has improved the overall look a lot, and has started painting the walls. He is perched on the worktop trying to paint round the top of the walls without getting it on the ceiling as well. I may go and give him a hand presently - or there again I may not (I've always found it best to just let him get on with it!).


Our Next Project!

Posted by charmainezoe on August 28, 2006 at 5:41 AM Comments comments (0)

Our present big project is redecorating & recarpeting the hall, stairs and landing. We have already ripped up the old carpet and underlay, and what a job that was! it was all so old the black rubber underlay (which obviously dated from the 70's) had in large part turned to dust and what hadn't was stuck to the floors and stairs! After getting all that cleared up and thrown out Ian has got on sanding down the door frames and skirtings (fortunately because we have replaced all the doors they only need painting!) and has now nearly finished the painting.

 


We have chosen a nice pale coloured wallpaper with a terracotta (more flame orange actually) motif to go with the carpets we are getting once all the decorating is finished. These will match the colour we have in all the main bedrooms so the floors wil be thesame throughout. After reviewing the situation a couple of weeks ago we made the decision there was no way we could do the wallpapering ourselves due to the high ceilings above the stairs and long drops required, so we have found a man to do it for us. I wanted him to just stick it up over the existing woodchip, seeing no problem in this method :-), but he has insisted on stripping the woodchip and then wallpapering. I foresee problems ahead because I dont think the condition of the walls is that good and I think this is going to cause more harm than good and turn into another expensive repair job! (like most things we have attempted in this house!). Anyway he starts next month after we get back from our trip to Ireland so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

 


Talking of our trip to Ireland, we are off to County Cork, in the South West, taking the overnight ferry from Swansea to Cork and then driving west to Schull (pronounced Skull). We wanted to stay in the Skibbereen area as that's where my paternal family originated, but couldn't find any rental houses that would accept two dogs. We finally found a brand new detached house (which sleeps eight!) in Schull, a very pretty fishing village not far from Skibbereen. We are off in a couple of weeks and I can't wait.